Tagar Chandini Variegated, Tabernaemontana sp. variegata – Plant
Tagar wheel Botanically known as Tabernaemontana coronaria from Apocynaceae family. Common name are TMC, Tagar Single, Crape Jasmine, Clavel De La India, East Indian Rose Bay, Tagar wheel, Chandani flower, Nandivardhana etc. It is an evergreen perennial flowering shrub, blooms year around and it is one of the ancient flowering plant mostly used in every Indian Home.
The Tagar plant is available from North India to South India. Tagar have attractive shiny leaves and it is a hardy landscape plant. Plants grow to over 2 to 4 meters high with a nice rounded canopy. The flowers are always pure white in single whorl. Branches are smooth and stiff and light colored. The only disadvantage is that when they are seen in harsh sunlight – the leaves reflect the light and flowers are not seen from a distance. The flowers stand out on overcast days. Excellent for viewing in moonlight and at night. The flowers are light fragrant with 1–5 cm in diameter.
|Tagar Variegated, Tabernaemontana sp. variegata
|Maximum Reachable Height
|Easy to grow
GROWING TIPS –
It can grow almost in all type of soil and it can easily grown in any Indian Climatic condition.
- It is best to grow Tecoma plant in full sunlight conditions.
- Hardy plants can suitable for growing in gardens as well as pots.
- Tecoma are long lived plants, a lot of their growth and performance depends on the soil used, Good well drained soil with lots of organic manure is recommended.
- Need pruning one or more times in a year. Pruning should be done after the flush of flowers has finished. This promotes quick regrowth and new flowers.
- Trim the height of the plant and to maintain a good shape. Will grow in all soils and moderate weather.
Tagar Variegated Plant Care
- Tagar Variegated Plant grows well in bright direct sunlight.
- Soil should be well drain and porus.
- Poke your finger/plain small stick into the soil to check the moisture.
- Apply 1 cup (Approx. 50 ml) water when the top soil (3-4 inch) in pot feels dry to touch.
- Apply water probably in the morning or evening time.
- Do not overwater the plant.
- As a rule of thumb, water the plant thoroughly in the summer and reduce watering in winter and rainy season.
Application of fertilizer
- Before application of fertilizer loosen the topsoil without disturbing the roots of the plant so it can uptake the nutrients and moisture.
- During the main growing season (January-March) feed the plant with organic fertilizer once a month.
- Apply water immediately after application of fertilizer.
- Remove dead, infected or damaged plant parts and discard them away from the plants.
For any insect attack or disease, you can use Neem oil, Eucalyptus oil or Citrus oil spray for primary treatment.
Special feature of Tagar Variegated
- Best flowering and aromatic plants. Plant bears beautiful leaves and fragrant flowers. It is very hardy and easy maintenance plant.
Ornamental uses of Tagar Variegated
- Useful for hedges, ground cover and garden plants.