Palash “Tesu”, Butea monosperma – Plant
Bastard teak, Parrot tree, Butea gum and Sacred tree
Palash (Butea) is native to India and is found throughout the country. The Tesu tree is also known as the ‘flame of the forest because of its red colour flowers. It is a medicinal tree and its different parts are used to cure various clinical disorders. Palash is considered anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial, anthelmintic, antidiabetic, diuretic, analgesic, antitumor and astringent. Tree leaves are astringent, diuretic and anovulatory properties. And its flowering is tonic and nutritive. And also Its roots are used to treat night blindness because this is very effective.
The tree is native to the Indian subcontinent and Southeast Asia. But it is a slow-growing tree that reaches a height of 40 to 50 feet. And it has a crooked trunk and irregular branches. The leaves are 3-foliate and the flowers a bright orange-red colour. One can see the tree flowering in spring and in full bloom, hardly any flowers are visible on the branches. From afar a cluster of trees gives the impression of fire in the forest and hence the name.
The tree is a host for the Lac insect which produces natural lacquer. In India, this tree is associated with spring and various legends and myths are associated with this tree. Because The tree is held sacred in South India and its wood is used in Hindu fire rituals called yagna. And the flowers of this tree do not open straight and even the unopened flowers are curved like a parrot’s beak.
Information on Palash Tree
- Botanical name: Butea Monosperma.
- Hindi: Dhak, Palas, Tesu and palaash.
- Bengali: Palas.
- Gujrati: Kesoodo and Khakhroo.
- Kannada: Muttuga.
- Marathi: Palas.
- Sanskrit: Palasha,
- Tamil: Palasu.
- Telugu: Palasamu.
- Take Palash seeds and pound them in lemon juice. And apply to the affected areas.
- The seeds of the Palash tree are anthelmintic and laxative. But Its fresh seed juice is given with honey.
Inflammation, Sprain, Swelling due to any reason (Arthritis, Moch)
- Palash flowers are used to treat inflammation, swelling and sprain in the body. Take Palash flower and cook in the steam. But cooking in steam takes a vessel full of water, And bring it to boil when steam starts coming put a mesh or grid on it as a lid. Now put flowers on it. And also Apply these flowers to the affected part.
- Palash flowers are used to remove body toxins. For this purpose dried or fresh flowers can be used. But take dried flowers and grind in mortar and pestle to make powder. Take 1 -2 gm daily.
- Sexual Dysfunction, Intestinal infection And ulcer
- Take dried Palash flower and make powder. But This powder (1 teaspoon) should be taken twice a day with misri and milk.
- Diabetes And discharge.
- Take Palash flower powder (2 gm) with misri (2 gm). But If you suffering from diabetes do not mix misri.
Uses Of Flame Of The Forest Tree
- The tree provides wood, resin, fodder, medicine, gum and dye.
- The wood is soft but durable even in eaters and is used to make well curbs and water scoops. And also charcoal of good quality is made from its wood.
- Wood pulp is used for newsprint manufacturing.
- The leaves are joined together to make a leaf plate to serve food and even bowls are prepared from the leaves.
- The flowers yield a colour that is used to dye fabric and is also used colour in Holi because of the traditional Indian festival of colours.
- The tree provides a gum that contains tannins that are used in the leather industry as well as in drugs. And the gum is also used in some food preparations.
- The flowers act as bait to attract mosquitoes to lay their eggs. And they die when they enter the flower as they are not able to come out as they get caught in the fluid contained in the flower. Because the eggs that these mosquitoes lay in the fluid do not hatch as well.
- The bark fibres are used to make cordage.