Insulin Plant, Costus igneus – Plant
Insulin Costus igneus Plant is one of the best herbal (Antidiabetic) Low maintenance plants. And also a perfect plant for outdoor gardens Its common name Fiery Costus or Spiral Flag is a species of herbaceous plant in the Costaceae family native to Brazil. The plant grows very quickly. And the propagation is by stem cutting. It needs sunshine but it also grows in slightly shady areas. This plant has large fleshy looking leaves. The undersides of these large, smooth, dark green leaves have a light purple shade.
The leaves are spirally arranged around the stem, forming attractive, arching clumps arising from underground rootstocks. The maximum height of these plants is about two feet. The flowers are orange in colour and are beautiful, 1.5-inch in diameter. Flowering occurs during the warm months. And they appear to be cone-like heads at the tips of branches. It is also possible to consume the leaves by drying and grinding the powder on the leaves.
Planting & Caring Requirements
- At least five to six hours of morning sunlight a day is ideal.
The soil should be well-drained and rich in organic content for growing the Hibiscus plant.
- Water the plant when the topsoil (1-2 inches) in the pot feels dry to touch.
- Do not overwater the plant.
- Water thoroughly in the summer and reduce watering in the winter and rainy seasons.
Application of Fertilizer
- During the main growing season (August-December) feed the plant with organic fertilizer once a month.
- Loosen the topsoil without disturbing the roots of the plant so it can uptake nutrients and moisture easily.
- Remove dead, infected or damaged plant parts and discard them away from the plants.
- For any insect attack or disease, you can use Neem oil, Eucalyptus oil or Citrus oil spray for primary treatment.
Do not overwater the plant.
Insulin Plant Uses
- A plant has the therapeutic potential the leaves in diabetes.
- The leaves of the Insulin Plant contain corosolic acid which helps to generate insulin thereby treating diabetes.
- Note: The following information is general guidelines, be sure to ask your healthcare provider for guidelines.
- It has been proven to possess various pharmacological activities like hypolipidemic, diuretic, antioxidant, and anti-microbial.