Elaichi Plant – Velchi, True Cardamom online
Elaichi Plant, commonly known as green or true cardamom, is a herbaceous, perennial plant in the ginger family, native to southern India. It is the most common of the species whose seeds are used as a spice called cardamom. It is cultivated widely in tropical regions and reportedly naturalized in Réunion, Indochina, and Costa Rica.
Primarily an outdoor dweller, the Elaichi plant flourishes best in tropical and subtropical climates. With its penchant for partial shade and well-draining soil, it thrives when allowed to bask in the embrace of nature’s elements.
- Choose a spot with partial shade or filtered sunlight.
- Indoors, place it near a sunny window with indirect sunlight.
- Use well-draining, fertile soil with good moisture retention.
- Keep the soil consistently moist, but avoid waterlogging.
- Water more during hot periods and reduce in winter.
- Feed with a balanced liquid fertilizer during the growing season (spring and summer).
- Trim dead or yellowing leaves to maintain plant health.
- Remove spent flower spikes to encourage new growth.