Shankhpushpi, Sankaphuli Plant
- Common Name: Shankhapushpi,Shankhpushpi, Aparajit,Sankhali ,Shankhpushpi,Sankhapuspi,Shankhavali, Bilikanthisoppu,Krsna kranti, Vishnukranthi,Shankhabela,Krishna-enkranti ,Sanghupushpam, kakkurattai.
- Difficulty: Easy to grow.
- Fertilizer: Apply any organic fertilizer.
- Flower Colour: White.
- Height: 10 to 15 feet.
- Soil: Well-drained soil.
- Sunlight: Full sun.
- Temperature: 25 to 35 degrees C.
- Water: Medium.
- Bloom Time: Seasonal bloomer.
Shankhpushpi, which goes by the botanical name Convolvulus pluricaulis is a perennial plant native to India. It’s an outdoor plant, Well-known as morning-glory, speed wheel or Aloe weed in English, this medicinal herb has specific arrowhead-shaped leaves and bulb-shaped blue or white flowers. The herb is extremely beneficial and is used from root to tips for its wide range of therapeutic benefits.
Planting & Care
Shankhpushpi plant care is very easy nothing too difficult but does require vigilance. The vines need to be trained early when they are young. You may use plant ties or just weave them through trellis sections. Fertilize the plant in spring just before new growth appears Pinch off the tips of the vines in the second year to promote branching which will fill the trellis with bushy growth.
- Light Requirements – Direct sunlight for at least 2-3 hours daily.
- Water Requirements – Half a glass twice a week.
- Feed Requirements – General purpose liquid fertilizer at least once a week
- Remove dried leaves/branches from the plant.
- If possible, keep the plant in the fresh air.
- Repot the plant after 1.5-2 years once the plant has filled the container Dont’s 1. Keep changing the location of the plant 2. Water the plant if the soil is wet 3. All the plants are to be exposed to rain.
Plant Uses and Benefits
- The plant is used for ornamental purposes.
- Shankhapushpi is an indigenous and considered one the very important herbs in Ayurveda.
- According to Ayurveda, Shankhapushpi is a pungent, alternative tonic, bitter, brightens intellect, improves complexion, increases appetite, useful in biliousness, epilepsy, bronchitis, teething troubles of infants etc.