Miniature Madhukamini, Murraya paniculata – Plant
Madhu Kamini commonly known as Murray Exotica, Chinese box, Mock orange, satinwood, is a tropical, evergreen shrub or small tree. This plant bears small, white, scented flowers, which is grown as ornamental tree or hedge. The plant flowers throughout the year. Its leaves are glabrous and glossy. The flowers are white bell-shaped with an aromatic orange-like fragrance. The dark green leaves make a dramatic backdrop for the highly fragrant cream-coloured flowers. The flowers are followed by small oval red fruits with one or two seeds. This plant is closely related to Citrus and bears small orange to red fruit resembling kumquat. The shrub is usually propagated from seed.
- Location: Well-draining soil, full sun to partial shade.
- Watering: Keep soil consistently moist but not waterlogged.
- Fertilization: Balanced slow-release fertilizer in spring and summer.
- Pruning: Trim for shape and after flowering for more blossoms.
- Pest Control: Watch for pests; use insecticidal soap if needed.
- Disease: Monitor for leaf spots; treat if necessary.
- Mulching: Apply organic mulch for moisture retention.
- Winter: Protect from frost in cooler climates.
- Indoors: Bright, indirect light; regular humidity for indoor plants.
- Propagation: Take semi-hardwood cuttings in growing season.