White Champa – Plumeria Alba (White)
A plumeria is a fast-growing tropical tree that produces masses of fragrant blooms through out the year. A small tree, the plumeria reaches heights of about 30 feet at maturity. Also known as frangipani, a plumeria is a warm-climate plant hardy suitable to the Indian climate. Although the plant won’t tolerate freezing winter climates, it can be planted in a container and brought indoors when the weather turns cold. Plumeria grow profusely in Hawaii, and is a popular flower choice for leis.
Planting and Caring
- Purchase a healthy plumeria tree at a Nursery Nisarga. Select a compact plumeria plant with an even, bright color and a sturdy, straight trunk. Look for evenly-spaced branches. Avoid plants with wilted leaves or poor color.
- Position the plumeria where the tree will be exposed to bright sunlight for at least 4 to 6 hours every day. Choose a planting location where the soil drains well and water doesn’t puddle after rainfall. Avoid locations where the plumeria will be exposed to heat radiating off a brick or concrete wall.
- Plant a plumeria in a sturdy container filled almost to the top with a good quality commercial cactus mix or all-purpose potting mix. Use a container at least 6 to 10 inches (15 to 25 cm) in diameter. Be sure to use a container with a hole in the bottom to provide soil drainage, as a plumeria won’t do well with wet feet.
- Water a plumeria deeply, then don’t water it again until the soil is dry. Decrease watering when the weather cools in autumn and stop watering completely during the winter months. Resume normal watering when you can see new growth in spring.
- Feed a plumeria a high-nitrogen granular fertilizer with a ratio such as 32-6-2 every 2 to 3 weeks, beginning when new growth appears in spring. Change to a high phosphorus granular fertilizer with a ratio such as 10-50-10 in early May, and continue feeding the plant with the high phosphorus fertilizer every 2 to 3 weeks until August. Don’t fertilize the plumeria after September 1.
|Plant Regional Name||White Plumeria Alba|
|Plant Common Name||White Plumeria, Champa White, Khairchapha|
|Plant Sunlight Need||Sun Growing, Semi Shade|
|Plant Water Need||Normal, Can tolerate less, Can tolerate more|
|Plant Flowering Season||Year-around flowering, Flowers in flushes throughout the year|