Snowflake Bush Plant
Euphorbia leucocephala, or snowflake bush, is a very interesting and beautiful plant from Central America, and which puts on a wonderful display of creamy, petal-like bracts during autumn and winter. And it’s also closely related to poinsettia, and it is a classic low-maintenance plant that would suit the average garden. And also small shrub to 3m grown as a garden ornamental. The flowers are small, grouped together at the ends of branches, and surrounded by white leaf-like bracts. The leaves are light green, lance-shaped, But usually opposite or in whorls of three or more, and measuring 2.5 to 8cm in length.
Common name: Snowflake.
Botanical name: Euphorbia leucocephala.
Other common names: Snows of Kilimanjaro, Pascuita, Poinsettia Mountain Snow, and Flor De Nino.
Regional name: Marathi – Mini Poinsettia.
General description: Small shrub to 3m grown as a garden ornamental.
Flowers: The flowers are small and grouped together at the ends of branches, and surrounded by white leaf-like bracts.
Leaves: The leaves are light green, lance-shaped, usually opposite or in whorls of three or more, and measuring 2.5 to 8cm in length.
Other: The sap is clear, copious, and an irritant.
Snowflake bush likes well-drained soil and a position in full sun to semi-shade. Protect from frost because wind (stems tend to be brittle). Prune heavily after leaf drop and then give another light clip in early summer. And apply slow-release fertilizer but after pruning.
- Plant Habit: Shrub Tree.
- Sun Light: Full Sun.
- Watering: Alternet days.
- Soil: Well-drained soil.
- Fertilizer: Apply any organic fertilizer.
- Low maintenance gardens.
- Feature shrub.
- Clipped dense hedge as a screen.
- Pruned to a standard.
- Planted in a tub.
- Fragrant flowering and beautiful leaves.
- Good for cutting flowers.
- Good for screening.
- Salt or salinity tolerant.
Plant Special Features
- It is a truly spectacular and beautiful sight when in bloom.
- Is in bloom for just a month but worth every bit of space it grows on.
- The flowers have a delicate Jasmine fragrance and that floats in the breeze.
- Will not flower where lights are on at night because it’s looking like lights.