Nothing is more beautiful than an azalea shrub in spring bloom. These easy-care shrubs, Azaleas are very beautiful and attractive plants known as the “Royalty of the Garden” because of their notoriously vibrant and colorful blossoms. The various shades of azaleas include pinks, purples, reds, oranges, whites, and more. The number of unique blossoms for each type of azalea varies, as well as the shape of the petals. With proper azalea care, the plant makes for a wonderful addition to your garden.
About Azalea Plant
- Common Name: Rhododendron Delaware Valley, Azalea Single Flowered.
- Difficulty: easy to grow.
- Fertilizer: Apply any organic fertilizer.
- Flower Colour: Various colored flowers available – Dark Pink, Light Pink, White, Red, Orange, Pink, Salmon, Purple.
- Soil: Clayey soils with good organic matter content do just fine. They require acidic soils.
- Sunlight: best kept in some shade.
- Water: Plants need a good amount of water especially in the warm summer months.
- Bloom Time: Year-around flowering, Flowers in flushes throughout the year.
Plant Uses and Care
Azaleas can be used as border plants, in mass plantings, and as a specimen plant.
Growing Conditions: Azaleas grow best in shade or partial shade, such as under large trees.
Watering: Water newly planted azaleas every 2 or 3 days (if there is no rain) until their roots become established. Then reduce watering to once a week. Azaleas need to stay moist, not wet or dry. Generally an inch of water a week is sufficient when it is hot and dry. azaleas can never be left to fend for themselves as they are too shallow-rooted to survive. Watering in the winter is sometimes necessary. Too much water is just as bad for azaleas as too little.
Fertilizing: Azaleas are light feeders and require only a small amount of fertilizer to maintain good foliage color and flowers. You only have to apply it once a year in a very small quantity. Or use one of the combination insecticide-fertilizer products if you have lace-bug problems. Because always water well after each application of fertilizer. If you use too much, you could easily burn up your plants. Do not use any kind of fresh manure on azaleas. It is much too strong a fertilize