Thunbergia grandiflora alba (White)
Thunbergia grandiflora alba, commonly known as the White Sky Vine or White Bengal Clock Vine, is a species of flowering plant in the family Acanthaceae. It is a climbing vine that is native to tropical regions of Asia, including India, Thailand, and Malaysia.
The plant features large, trumpet-shaped flowers that are white in color, hence the name “alba.”
White Bengal Clock Vine Plant Features and Care
- Features large, trumpet-shaped flowers that are white in color with a yellow center.
- The flowers have a diameter of about 3-4 inches.
- The leaves are heart-shaped and grow up to 8 inches long.
- Used as an ornamental plant in gardens and landscapes due to its attractive flowers and fast-growing nature.
- Requires full sun to partial shade and moist, well-drained soil.
- Can grow up to 20 feet in height and requires sturdy support structures to climb on.
- Known for its medicinal properties in traditional medicine, particularly its leaves and roots.
- Has been used to treat fever, headache, and respiratory issues in traditional medicine.
- More research is needed to fully understand its medicinal properties and potential side effects.
Uses of Thunbergia grandiflora alba Plant
- Ornamental plant: It is commonly used as an ornamental plant in gardens, landscapes, and parks. Its beautiful white flowers and attractive foliage make it an excellent choice for adding color and interest to any outdoor space.
- Traditional medicine: The leaves and roots are used in traditional medicine to treat various ailments, such as fever, cough, and skin infections. Some traditional healers also use it to treat snake bites.
- Pollinator plant: The plant’s flowers attract bees, butterflies, and hummingbirds, making it a great addition to a pollinator garden.
- Shade provider: Grown over pergolas, trellises, and other structures to provide shade and shelter from the sun.
- Erosion control: The plant’s fast-growing nature makes it an effective erosion control measure on steep slopes or areas prone to soil erosion.
- Indoor plant: Grown indoors in a bright, sunny spot as long as it is provided with support to climb.
- Cut flower: The plant’s flowers make beautiful cut flowers that can be used in floral arrangements or as a decorative element.
There are no reviews yet.