Malpighia Coccigera Plant (Variegated)
Malpighia plant is an interesting plant to grow. This is a genus of flowering plants in the nance family Malpighiaceae. It contains about 45 species of shrubs or small trees, all of which are native to the American tropics. The generic name honours Marcello Malpighi, Small miniature holly-like leaves with spiny edges reminded one of a miniature Chinese holly at a young age, And so the plant produces small size pink & white blossoms with fringed petals.
Miniature holly is native to the West Indies. And also this plant is a low-growing small holly-like plant with shiny toothed leaves and sporadic pinkish/white flowers throughout the year. This plant makes a beautiful bonsai and a good houseplant.
Malpighia plant does best in direct sun or light shade, with night temperatures of 55 to 60 degrees and day temperatures of 68 degrees or higher keep evenly moist, so not wet or dry.
The fruit can be eaten raw or cooked. Also, They can be used in tarts, jellies, and marmalades.
Because they plant flowers and fruits all year round.
- Grown in full sun.
- Plants are easy to grow and maintain.
- Plants require very less watering.
- Requires well-drained soils.
- Can take trimming so very well.
Care for Malpighia
- You may use plant ties or just weave them through trellis sections.
- Pinch off the tips of the vines in the second year to promote branching because this will fill the trellis with bushy growth.
- A favourite plant of bonsai enthusiasts.
- Named in honor of Marcello Malpighia.
- Native- America & South Texas.
- A dwarf bushy shrub.
- Growing up to 1 m high.
- Leaves dark green 1-1.5 cm long.
- Flowers pinkish and white colour on a short cyme.
- The flowers are 1.5 cm across and the fruit colour is red.
- Attracts bees.
- Thorny or Spiny.
- Suitable for roadside & garden planting.
- Ideal plant for bonsai practice.